We took a road trip to Georgia today and visited St. Simon’s Island and Brunswick. The Glynn County Courthouse in Brunswick is surrounded by these amazing Live Oak trees, complete with Spanish Moss. This photo just begins to do them justice.
From the local tourism board website:
The Historic Brunswick Courthouse is situated in a grove of live oaks within Magnolia Square—one of the historic parks and squares used to house livestock as a community pasture. The parcel was purchased in 1905 from the City for $1.00. Today it is still surrounded by mossy live oak trees in addition to trees of foreign origin including Tung and Chinese pistachio. The courthouse was designed by New Jersey architect Charles Alling Gifford of the New York firm Gifford & Bates. Gifford’s work is notable within the National Historic Landmark District on Jekyll Island, principally Sans Souci Apartments (1896), Mistletoe Cottage (1900), and Jekyll Island Clubhouse Annex (1901). The cornerstone was laid on December 27, 1906 and construction was completed on December 18, 1907 at a total cost of $97,613. Restoration work began in the early 1990’s. Noted as a fine example of Neoclassical Revival style or Beaux Arts (fine arts) architecture that flourished, 1885-1920, this impressive building is still widely known for its exceptional beauty. Beaux Arts combines ancient Greek & Roman forms with Renaissance ideas and is an eclectic Neoclassical style. Design suggests interlinking philosophy of justice: four identical entrances complement interior columns leading to justice; an intricate iron stair rail suggests delicate balance and the frailties of man. The new Glynn County Courthouse is located immediately north of the structure and opposite the Courthouse at 1709 Reynolds Street, the Mahoney-McGarvey House is known as one of the finest examples of Carpenter Gothic architecture in Georgia.